Tuesday, July 8, 2008
Happy 4th of July!
We had the opportunity to celebrate our nation's Independence Day with the US Consulate. It was at a local palace. Sweet! I even got to wear my "little black dress" and black shoes (dreadful after several hours). This was definitely an experience that we have never been in before, and it was very educational - especially once alcohol was able to kick in for those we were talking to.
The two gentlemen, who are in this picture, work in the Commercial Services department with Joseph. The one wearing a yellow tie is Patrick and the one wearing the red tie (that cost $400!) is Gernard. Of all the people that Joseph talks about, it is these two men. Patrick is the specialist over heavy machinery, Agri-business, financing, and mineral extraction industries, while Gernard is over the technology, security, avionics, and transportation sectors. They have become some great friends and mentors for us.
You can't see it from this angle, but behind the palace is a hill side that is the home to one of the local favelas. At night, all the lights are on up there and it looks beautiful. I had to imagine that those were fireworks. You would think that there would have been fireworks for our party, but no. Fireworks attract too much attention from the favela and when they see that it is a grand event happening, they bring out the guns and start shooting towards the palace. Yep, I am okay with not seeing fireworks this year!
The American Ambassador who is in Brazil was here and gave a speech that was really nice. It made me feel that much more grateful to be an American. I have always been thankful, but now I have such a stronger love for my country after living outside of it for these last few months. We are so blessed to be American!
Joseph is still smiling even after eating fish eggs (I forgot the fancy name) and what ever else those fancy platters had.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hey Kemper! You two look so professional and world-wise! I'm excited for our stay in Brazil but I don't think we'll meet such great connections or be near many palaces in Brasilia. Hope you two are safe.
Hey Kemper Girl! Looks like you're having the time of your lives. Hope everything continues to go well:)
Post a Comment